Tuesday, November 30, 2004

The Revolutionary Disney Film

In the past, Disney had always been the most hopeful, peaceful cartoon flick anybody can watch on screen. But when the Lion King was released in 1994, it had changed everything.

When the lion king died, it made me cry. I never thought a Disney character will ever die on screen. The once "Disney imagined community" suddenly became a reality. Did the Disney myth died or it had simply made a connection to reality?

The death of the king is a tragic reality even for a young, innocent Simba. What message is Disney sending to us? Is this really the sign of the times that even a cartoon fantasy world can be faced with troubles, with pains, with concerns, with sacrifices? Maybe you can tell me..

I still admire the film. I still have a heavy heart whenever I reach the part when the king died trying to save his son..

Note: I came to post this an hour and a half after I learned a good friend in our community lost his husband, an OFW on duty. They have one child.

4 Comments:

Blogger Miss K. said...

What an interesting thought... I never really thought about this until now. Maybe because I was only 12 when the Lion King was released and in my mind then, the world was a perfect happy place..

I would have to say that the Lion King is my second most loved Disney movie, the first being Beauty and the Beast. It touched me deeply. I share the same sentiment with you when Mufasa risked his life for Simba that I also could not help but shed tears too. :( *sniff

I guess the Lion King was so revolutionary because it swerved away from the ideal Fairy Tale that kids love giving focus on the Family and real life experiences -- basically the Circle of LIFE. Is this really the sign of the times? Maybe so.. the cartoon was an eye opener for both adults and youth that the perfect world is long gone and there are troubles to face. The Disney myth did not die but seemed to have moved to a different domain making connection to reality. After all, it still ended “happily ever after”, trademark of most Disney movies.

In the circle of life
It's the wheel of fortune
It's the leap of faith
It's the band of hope
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the circle of life
-- Elton John --

November 30, 2004 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger 謝莉兒 said...

I also cried on that scene. It was so tragic especially for Simba, you're right. Now, I am thinking of asking my younger cousins about their thoughts on the Disney movies. I am very excited to know what they have in mind.

December 1, 2004 at 4:00 PM  
Blogger aileenriza said...

I always like disney films.
You're right, the films are very peaceful and meaningful.
It's not just for children but for adults as well.
I even enjoy watching Disney films more than any other films.

December 6, 2004 at 5:33 AM  
Blogger sarichairul said...

There is always a message that the filmmaker wants to convey to the audience. in the film "lion king," in which is considered one of the best of disney films, it is trying to touch the reality. while it is true that we watch films to relax and at the same time to escape from reality, but on the other side, we are actually trying to relate ourselves to the films. that is why we found the scene very sad, when the lion king died. because we know that in reality, losing someone we love brings so much pain.

December 17, 2004 at 6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home